Our first and main criterion for admission to the school is active participation in the life and mission of The Catholic Community of Saint Matthias as defined in our Family Spirituality Commitment. This criterion takes precedence over every other item of priority in our admission policy. Students applying for admission to the school will be accepted in order of the following priorities:
- Active parish families with children already enrolled in school.
- Children from an active parish family, with a minimum one year membership by worshiping weekly at Sunday Eucharist and offering freely to the parish their time, talent and treasure.
- Children of new parishioners who are transferring from a Catholic School, or from an area where a Catholic School is not available.
- Children of non-parish families who are members of another parish without a Catholic School.
- Children of non-parish families from Saint Matthias Pre-School.
- Children from other non-parish families.
We maintain a waiting list for children not immediately accepted. The waiting list is valid from the time of application until the opening of the application process for the next school year (usually from February until the following January). We welcome students with varied abilities; however, in justice to the child, we may not be able to adequately implement a child’s mandated Individual Service Plan (ISP) and special needs. These children will be reviewed and considered on an individual basis.
St. Matthias School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarships and loan programs, and athletic and other school administered programs.Immunization Mandate
A child entering school as a new student is required to comply with the immunization requirements set forth by the State of New Jersey. An applicant whose immunization record is incomplete will not be admitted. Saint Matthias School adheres to the immunization policy of the Diocese of Metuchen approved by the Bishop. The policy reads:
“No child shall be admitted to a school without proper proof that the child has been immunized as required by the laws of the State of New Jersey, N.J.3.A. 26:1A-9. Proper immunization is a condition of admission to the school. No request for religious exemptions will be considered.”Admission Procedures
For all students submitting an application to fill available slots in class enrollment in grades 1-8, acceptance to the school will be based on the following considerations:
- Receipt of student records from current school: grades and standardized test results. A student interview and testing will also be conducted by the school prior to acceptance to the school.
- Results of the department teachers’ interview of student and parent to discuss the discipline and academic expectations of the school. The child must agree to follow the school’s code of conduct and the parent must agree to support the school in its policies and procedures.
- Review of academic and/or psychological/educational testing: can instruction and/or classroom management techniques be adjusted sufficiently to meet the child’s needs?
- Results of conversations with the child’s current teachers: what academic and behavioral interventions have been successfully applied? Is it likely that the student will be able to adjust to the school’s academic and behavioral expectations?
Students are accepted conditionally and are required to sign a probationary contract which states that the school reserves the right to ask the student to leave if the terms of the contract are not fulfilled within a given time frame. No transfers will be accepted after February 1 except in the case of relocation into the area.Registration of Incoming Students
We begin the application process during Catholic Schools Week each year in late January. The dates are announced in the Church bulletin, on the school calendar, and on the school website. Children registering for Kindergarten must be five years of age on or before October 31 of the year to be spent in Kindergarten. There are no exceptions. Children registering for First Grade must be six years old on or before October 31 of the year to be spent in First Grade. Students transferring into all other grades will provide additional academic information.
At registration, the following items are required:
- Student’s birth certificate (original).
- Verification of the student’s social security card.
- The Baptismal Certificate if the child was not baptized at the Catholic Community of Saint Matthias.
- Transfer students applying for admission submit the most recent progress report or report card from their current school, results of standardized testing and report cards from the last two years.
- In the case of a separation/divorce, parents present copies of the custody papers and anything relating to the safety of the child.
- New students are to have a physical examination before the school year begins and provide required immunization records.
- Parents must inform the school office if any conditions change.