The Kindergarten department at Saint Matthias School focuses on the whole child, with an emphasis on spiritual, emotional, social, and academic growth. Together, the full-time teacher and aide work to present a program of differentiated learning through a variety of activities and the use of the technology including the Interactive White Board and iPads.
Students may enter our Kindergarten program having had attended any Pre-Kindergarten program or with no formal school experience at all. All children go through a screening process to better inform our faculty and the parent(s) of the child’s individual learning level at that time. This level is evaluated continuously throughout the year as learning progresses.
- Our full-day curriculum offers instruction in Religion, Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies. In addition, “Specials” are offered once a week and the include instruction in Computers, Library, Music, Physical Education, and Spanish.
- Kindergarten students look forward to Journal Time where they use their creative writing skills and Center-Time that allows them to work/play in small group settings where they explore new concepts and reinforce current skills at their own level.
- St. Matthias School meets or exceeds the Core Curriculum guidelines set forth by the Diocese of Metuchen in keeping with NJ State standards, keeping pace with 21st Century Learning.
- Students are evaluated throughout the year to benchmark learning milestones and development. Parents have the opportunity to conference with the teacher twice yearly.
- Students are eligible for transportation through Franklin Township.
- Uniforms are required in Kindergarten. Click here for our uniform guidelines.
- Before School and After School Program is available. Before School is from 6:45-7:45am. After School runs from 2:15-6:00pm. For rates click here.
- Parents are encouraged to be a part of our school day by volunteering in the classroom at Center-Time or by helping in the cafeteria during lunch and on the playground at recess. We enjoy having our parents participate in the learning process.
We encourage you to visit the Teacher homework pages for a closer look into our Kindergarten.